Frequently Asked Questions
Which unit is for me?
We suggest to browse our size guide to understand your need. We have many sizes and types for your different need to store your valuables. As your storage needs change over time, we can always reevaluate your space requirements.
Do I need to reserve for my unit?
Since the availability changes daily. We advice for our tenant to make advance reservation to secure the unit they want.
What is a Self-Serve Kiosk?
Helena Self Storage features a full-service convenience kiosk. It allows you to browse our facilities, make a reservation or simply to pay your bill. The kiosk is available 24hrs, everyday! It is user friendly and super convenient!
How long will it take to complete my transaction on move-in day?
The entire move-in process should take 10-15 minutes and can be completed 24 hours a day at our self-serve kiosk. A valid driver’s license or federal ID with picture is required to lease a unit.
How long should I reserve the unit for? And what is the advance notice to move out?
Helena Self Storage provides month-to-month leases to our customers, ensuring you the flexibility to modify your storage usage as your personal requirements change. We require a 10-day notice to move out. Full details on the vacating policy will be provided for you at the time of Move-In.
Do I need insurance for my belongings?
You may carry your own insurance (check your homeowner’s or renter’s policy to see if you are already covered) or apply for insurance coverage from a company that specializes in self-storage insurance. We provide new tenants with a brochure from one of these companies. Insurance is the tenant’s responsibility.
How and when can I make a payment?
Payments can be made 24/7 at the self-serve kiosk, or online if you find it more convenient. We accept cash, checks, and major credit cards.
Do I need a lock?
Anyone else has access to my unit? You provide your own lock, ensuring that only you have access. We sell locks at our office Don’t have a lock? No problem, we offer affordably priced locks at our convenient self-serve kiosk (as always, open 24/7).
Can I purchase boxes and packing supplies at your facility?
We currently sell locks, boxes and other miscellaneous packing supplies at our facility.
What are your hours of operation?
Our office opens Mon-Fri 9am-6pm (with lunch break 1-2pm). Units access daily from 6am to 10pm.
Storage & Packing Tips
● Mirrors, windows, and screens should be stored on edge (i.e. vertically); they should not be laid flat.
● Refrigerators or freezers should be completely dry and stored with their doors slightly ajar. Cartons can be stacked on top of stoves, refrigerators, and freezers. Cooking equipment should be cleaned before storing.
● Wrap furniture legs with protective bubble wrap, furniture covers or pads to prevent scratching.
● Use furniture covers or moving pads to keep items off the floor of the unit.
● Turn outside furniture upside down prior to storing, such that all water will be drained.
●When storing business files, leave a walkway down the center of your unit to make accessing items easier.
● Drain any fluids prior to storing lawnmowers or any other motorized equipment.
● Never store food or perishables.
● Never store hazardous materials or anything that is flammable (i.e. paint, chemicals, etc).